Late summer Beets
The full and warm smell of the roasted beet seem to welcome autumn in all its beauty, while heating in the oven. The crunch of Walnuts and the soft bitterness of Goats cheese only add to this feeling and might already tempt you to think about the cozy warmth winter will bring. Still, with the fresh and fragrant Mint and Ginger this entire dish just steers away to form a perfect late summer delicacy.
INGRIEDIENTS (serves 2)
6 medium Fresh Beets
2 sprigs of fresh Mint
100 gr Soft Goats Cheese
a handful Walnuts
to taste Stem Ginger
a pinch Black Pepper
a pinch Sea Salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Peel the Beets and make the bottom completely flat. This helps placing them upright later on. Tip: Keep your hands wet while peeling, this prevents the worst of the red staining on your hands.
3. Cut a cross into the beets, but don't cut all the way through. Pack each of the Beets individually into aluminum foil, close the package and place into the oven. They need about one hour to be soft enough to eat.
4. To create the filling remove the Mint Leaves from the stem, slice thin and put in a small mixing bowl. Crumble the Goats Cheese and crush the Walnuts onto the Mint. Add a bit of roughly cut Ginger if you want to and bring to taste with some Pepper and Salt.
5. When the Beets are ready remove them from the oven and carefully remove the foil. Transfer the Beets to a plate. You will find some space in the cross you cut. Drop the filling in there.
6. Any leftover filling should find its way onto your plate: the combination is lovely.
7. We love to serve these Beets with some baked potatoes to make it a full meal. Enjoy as warm as possible.